There hasn’t been much action on the blog in many weeks. The back to work and back to school season really took over, and now the Holidays are already upon us! There’s no better time to share a new vegan dessert recipe than this festive time of year… whether you’re planning your Christmas of New Years menus, or whipping up some plant-based treats for your child’s school Holiday Potluck (as I am) – this Chocolate SunButter Torte recipe is a keeper.
I originally planned to make this a classic Peanut Butter Torte, but decided to give SunButter a try, as it’s made from sunflower seeds and therefore school-safe. As soon as I’m done writing this post, I’ll be sharing this decadent treat with the kids and parents at my son’s school Christmas Show… fingers crossed they (and you!) love it as much as I do!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
Serves: 12 servings
21 crushed Oreos (Yes they’re vegan!)
3 Tbsp vegan butter, melted (such as Melt brand)
1/2 cup, vegan butter, room temperature (such as Melt brand)
1 1/2 cups creamy natural SunButter which is school-safe (you could also use Peanut Butter if you prefer)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
3/4 Coconut milk
Cocoa powder for dusting (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine crushed Oreos with melted vegan butter. Stir until combined and press into the bottom of a 10-inch spring-form pan, lined with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the vegan butter, SunButter, sugar, salt and vanilla. Using a mixer, whip ingredients until smooth. Pour the mixture iontop of the Oreo crust. Place in freezer.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, heat the coconut milk until it begins to simmer, remove from heat and add in the chocolate chips. Allow the chocolate and coconut milk to sit for 5 minutes, then blend together with a whisk.
- Remove the pie from the freezer and pour the chocolate over the SunButter.
- Refrigerate the torte for an hour, or until ready to serve.
- Option to dust the top of the torte with cocoa powder before serving (as shown).