When I was pregnant I craved citrus – all the time! Lemon pie, lemon sorbet, lemon water and of course lemon loaf. I began playing around with different recipes that I liked in order to create a healthier version. Four years, two babies and many loaves later, this recipe came to be.
This loaf is inspired by traditional lemon poppy seed muffins that combine zesty citrus flavour with the mild crunch of poppy seeds – except of course we’ve paired lemon with chia seeds (a great source of fiber, calcium and iron). Indeed a winning combo!
Think of this recipe as a healthier, lightened up version of a typical loaf bread. Whereas most use about a cup of sugar our Lemon Chia Seed Vegan Loaf has only 1/2 cup maple syrup. Best part is you only need one bowl. It is moist yet fluffy, citrusy yet sweet, and absolutely delicious.
Serves: 1 loaf
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
1/2 c maple syrup
1/2 c olive oil
2 heaping Tbsp of chia seeds mixed with 6 Tbsp of water
1 c plant-based milk (almond, soy, coconut)
1/4 c lemon juice
2 tsp lemon rind
2 c unbleached flour (I used 1 c of unbleached flour, 1/2 c spelt flour and 1/2 c gluten-free flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Dash of salt
- Soak the chia seeds in water until they have congealed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine maple syrup, chia seeds, olive oil, milk and lemon juice. Stir.
- In the same bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt on top of the wet ingredients.
- Gently stir together the dry ingredients until blended making sure to stay on the surface of the wet mixture. Then stir everything together.
- Fold in lemon rind until it is well integrated into the mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow the loaf to cool before removing it from the pan. Serve with a warm cup of tea and savour every bite!