Fall is most definitely in the air, the days are shorter, the air in cooler, and our appetites are shifting towards more warming dishes, such as comforting soups and stews. Our Sweet Potato & Leek Dahl is a low-fat hearty lentil-based soup that brings together the warming properties of ginger, cardamon, and cumin and the subtle sweetness of sweet potatoes. And as with all our recipes, this soup is 100% plant-based, so good for you, good for the animals and good for the planet. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
4 cups vegetable broth
2 medium, sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
1 cup split red lentils (dry)
1 large leek, cleaned, chopped
1/2 yellow onion
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp yellow curry powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp Herbamare sea salt blend
Pepper to taste
Toasted Coconut Chips (we served this with Smoked Coconut “bacon”)
Plain non dairy yoghurt of choice (we used almond yoghurt)
- In a a large soup pot, bring to a boil 4 cups of vegetable broth.
- And the chopped sweet potato, leeks, and onion to the hot vegetable broth, and cook for approximately 10 minutes until tender.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup throughly until smooth.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium, and add to the soup the cardamon, curry powder, cumin, ginger, and Herbamare sea and stir to combine.
- Add in the red lentils, stir to combine, and allow for the lentils to cook and soften to desired consistency – and the dahl is ready to serve!
- Serve each bowl garnished with Smoked Coconut “bacon” , plain non-dairy yoghurt, and fresh cilantro.