I didn’t always love the taste of arugula. Five years ago I would have described it as pungent – one could even go so far as to say repulsive, but arugula fresh from the garden tastes more peppery than bitter and is delicious when paired with the right thing. Both arugula and peaches are in season right now and are absolutely a perfect compliment to one another. Peppery meet sweet tang! (You’ll note the produce in this entry is not picture perfect but it is in fact fresh from a local farmer’s market which makes all those imperfections just the way nature intended and absolutely tasty).
Which brings us to this August Peach, Arugula & Quinoa Salad. It is full of flavour and packed with plant-based ingredients like avocado and quinoa that will satisfy that hunger. This dish makes a perfect summer side or light lunch. The bright colours and tangy taste of this salad will make you feel that summer is indeed still in the air.
Serves: 4 main/8 sides
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 1/2 c cooked quinoa (1/2 c dried quinoa)
1 c arugula
1/4 c walnuts (optional)
1/4 c cranberries (optional)
6 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp Dijon
1 1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/4 c lemon juice (1 lemon)
Sea salt to taste
- Rinse quinoa. Bring one cup of water or vegetable broth to a boil, add quinoa. Reduce heat and simmer covered for about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to allow the quinoa to cool.
- Rinse and chop arugula, peaches, scallions and avocado.
- Mix all ingredients – excluding dressing – in a bowl and stir.
- Whisk together olive oil, Dijon, maple syrup, lemon juice and sea salt until dressing has emulsified.
- Stir dressing into quinoa salad and serve.