My family and I are big into convenience when it comes to snacks… Whether we’re in-between swimming lessons, school drop-off, work meetings, post-workout, etc. – we usually have a snack bar on hand in case we need a quick refuelling. We’re lucky to have some fairly healthy and wholesome pre-packaged bars available at our health food store or online, but nothing can beat these homemade Chocolate Hemp Energy Oat Bars.
These quick and easy bars are made with wholesome ingredients such as rolled oats, Sunbutter, hemp hearts, and dairy-free chocolate. I look forward to having one of these after a good workout! So satisfying and delicious with a great mix of carbs, plant-based protein, and healthy fats. These are kid approved as well, and since they are made with sunflower seed butter they are school safe – so throw them in a lunch box as a healthy snack time “treat”.
Makes: 6 – 8 bars (depending on how thick you slice them)
Prep time: 15 mins
Chill time: 2 hours
1 cup rolled oats (dry)
3/4 cup unsweetened Sunbutter (or another nut or seed butter of choice)
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 hemp hearts
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, warm the sunflower seed butter until it melts.
- Add the vanilla and maple syrup to the melted sunflower seed butter, and stir until fully combined
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the hemp hearts and rolled oats. You’ll need to kneed the ingredients well with a spatulate to ensure that they well combined. The mixture will be quite stiff.
- Line an 8 x 4 bread pan, (or other shallow baking dish) with parchment paper. Transfer the oat mixture into the baking pan, and press it evenly nto the parchment paper.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate, and once fully melted, pour over the oat mixture and spread it out evenly with a spatula.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator for 2 hours (or longer), until fully set.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator, and remove the slab of bars from the pan by lifting out the parchment paper.
- Portion out the bars in the desired size
p.s. Keep them in an airtight container or individually wrapped in the fridge.