Yesterday was my son’s 3rd Birthday (how time flies!) As part of our celebration we prepared these Classic Vegan Birthday Cupcakes to share with the kids and educators at his school (daycare). These dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free cupcakes bake up light, moist, fluffy, with just the right touch of sweetness – and they are school-friendly of course.
We topped these cuties with a simple vanilla cream icing and sprinkles for the kids. Needless to say – the kids (and adults!) happily gobbled them up!
Makes: 2 dozen cupcakes
Prep time: 15 mins
Bake time: 20 mins
2 c soy (or coconut) milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 c non-dairy butter (we used Melt and loved the results)
2 c brown sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 c all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c vegan butter, softened (we used Melt)
500g bag of icing sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp soy milk
- Optional toppings, such a sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, or berries.
- Preheat your oven to 325F (we used the convection bake option with great results)
- In a bowl combine the non dairy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside to activate.
- In a large electric mixing bowl, cream together the non dairy butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Let the mixer go for a good 5 minutes to make sure the ingredients are perfectly combined and smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- While your mixer is on low-medium speed slowly add 1/2 of the flour mixture and 1/2 of the non dairy milk to the butter/sugar mixture , and continue to mix. Once well combined, add the remaining 1/2 of the non dairy milk to the butter/sugar mixture – and continue to mix on medium speed for a good 5 minutes.
- Once the batter is velvety smooth, divide evenly into 24 lined cupcake tins.
- Bake on the centre rack for 20 minutes, until the cupcakes are a light golden colour.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely while you prepare the frosting.
- Simply rinse out the mixing bowl and wire whisk used for the batter, and use them to prepare the frosting by adding all the frosting ingredients to the bowl, and mix on medium-high until the frosting is light and fluffy. Option – if needed, add a Tbsp or so of cornstarch to the icing if you need to thicken it up a little bit.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled to room temperature, decorate with icing and your favourite sprinkles, mini vegan chocolate chips, or fresh berries!
These cupcakes stay fresh and moist up to 3 days, covered at room temperature. They keep longer in the fridge – but allow to come to room temperature before enjoying out of the fridge,