This tasty little treat falls somewhere between a dessert and a muffin. Our Apple Cranberry Crumble Muffins are easy to whip up for a morning brunch, an afternoon tea, or a late night sweet fix. Tangy cranberries add some zing to the apple muffins and it is topped with a maple pumpkin seed crumble. What more could one ask for?
Serves: 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 c plain almond yogurt
2 flax eggs
1/3 c maple syrup
1/3 c coconut palm sugar
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 heaping c grated apple
2 c of flour (I like to use half gluten-free blend and half white whole-wheat flour)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/4 rolled oats
1/8 c almond meal*
1/8 c pumpkin seeds (or almond slices)
1/8 c maple syrup
1 Tbsp melted vegan butter
Dash of cinnamon (optional)
*Omit for a nut-free version and add a bit more of the rolled oats.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Make flax eggs: Mix 2 Tbsp ground flax with 6 Tbsp of water. Allow mixture to sit until it congeals- approximately 5 minutes.
- Mix wet ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, stir almond yogurt, flax eggs, maple syrup, coconut palm sugar and oil together. Add grated apple.
- Mix dry ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, baking soda and sea salt together.
- Stir wet mixture in with dry mixture. Fold in cranberries. Scoop batter into greased muffin tray.
- Make topping: In a small bowl, mix together rolled oats, almond meal, pumpkin seeds, maple syrup, cinnamon and melted vegan butter. Top each muffin with a dollop of topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool before indulging!