Quick, easy, light and refreshing. A perfect spring dish that takes no time at all. Our Artichoke Dill Pesto Penne with Asparagus is kid (and husband) approved and can be served hot or cold. Get creative by adding cherry tomatoes for a pop of colour, baby kale for antioxidants or chickpeas for protein and fiber. This meal is so fast you won’t even feel like you’ve been cooking.
And let’s be honest, sometimes you just need a break from cooking because you’re sick of cutting, peeling, standing, stirring, serving and cleaning. The other day was one of those days. As arsenic hour quickly approached – my mother calls the time between 5:00-6:00 arsenic hour when the toddler is tired and the baby is crying and you need to feed them both while taking care of them, pretty accurate label I must say – I needed a fast meal that will satisfy everyone. This one did the trick! I used high-protein, high-fiber pasta and it was as simple as that.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Artichoke Dill Pesto
1 can artichoke hearts (with liquid)
1 c fresh dill, finely chopped
1/3 c pistachios*
1/3 c hemp seeds
1 1/2 lemon juiced (the extra half will be used for serving)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tsp of sea salt (or more to taste)
3-4 Tbsp of olive oil
*For those with nut allergies (cue sister in law) I would suggest just using hemp seeds.
1 bunch of asparagus, chopped
1 bag penne noodles
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile place all the ingredients for the pesto in the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add noodles to the boiling water and cook according to directions.
- When there are about 5 minutes left to cook the pasta, add the asparagus to the water.
- Drain the noodles and asparagus. Chop the asparagus into small chunks. Mix the pesto in with the noodles and add the asparagus.
- Serve with a fresh squeeze of lemon. Do not skip this step! It is essential in bringing out the flavours. Enjoy!