Just another cloudy, cold spring day. Where is the sunshine you ask? In my dinner for tonight! My body needs that warm comfort food to make it feel… well, warm and comfy just like sun on a spring day.
Our Vegan Scalloped Sweet Potatoes with Crispy Kale are divine! The combination of sweet potatoes, celery root and onion – topped with our delicious cauliflower cashew Vegan Creamy White Sauce – to provide a hearty and nutritious meal. As previously noted, celery root, a.k.a celeriac, is not the most attractive root vegetable, but it is a great source of vitamin K, dietary fiber and other vital vitamins and minerals. Not only that, celery root adds a sweet and smooth celery flavour.
So don’t worry about making this comfort food. You’ll feel good as you and your children devour this antioxidant rich, immune-system boosting dish!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
3 1/2 c sweet potato (about 2 medium-sized), peeled and thinly sliced
1 celery root bulb, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 c kale, washed and chopped
3 c of Vegan Creamy White Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the vegetables: peel and slice the sweet potatoes and celery root, slice the onion and wash and chop kale.
- Steam sweet potatoes and celery root until they are partially cooked. You want them to be slightly tender.
- Layer sweet potatoes then celery root then onions in an 11 x 7 rectangular baking dish. Alternatively, you could use a 13 x 9 but the layers would be a bit more sparse.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 to 3/4 c of chopped kale then pour Vegan Creamy White Sauce on top. It will appear thick but don’t worry; the sauce will lossen up as it bakes. Reserve the remaining kale.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 25 minutes.
- While it is baking, massage the kale with about a tablespoon of olive oil and a couple of dashes of sea salt.
- Removed the scalloped potatoes from the oven and top with kale. Do not put the aluminum foil back on.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes (until the edges of the kale have browned).