My husband grew up eating freshly baked bran muffins on the regular. He remembers this as a staple food in his lunch box – that along with totem pole carrot sticks, but we’ll save that story for another day. Clearly these were the days just before the debute of quick, easy, prepackaged, premade, preservative laden food. And clearly these muffins awaken a little part of those treasured childhood memories for him.
You probably know where I’m going with all this. I was charged with the task – that I first deemed impossible – of recreating (or in this case creating) my own plant-based version of these beloved muffins. Oh boy! The bar was high. On top of it, my own experience with bran muffins is that they can often be dry and tasteless.
Well my friends, not these! These literally are the Best Blueberry Bran Vegan Muffins. After several attempts, I’ve got the right formulas for a moist bran muffin and they just happen to be vegan. Not a fan of blueberries? Not to worry. These muffins work beautifully with raisins or raspberries as well. So get some fiber into your diet and try out these muffins today!
Serves: 12 muffins
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 1/2 c wheat bran
1 c plant-based milk (I use an almond/coconut blend)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 c maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 c apple sauce
1/8 c olive or vegetable oil
1/8 c fancy molasses
2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 6 Tbsp water)
1 c non-bleached flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 heaping cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the apple cider vinegar into the plant-based milk then mix with the wheat bran in a large bowl. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare your flax eggs mixing 2 Tbsp of ground flax with 6 Tbsp water. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla, molasses, oil, apple sauce and flax eggs into wheat bran mixture. Stir.
- Mix flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add to the wheat bran mixture.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Bake in lined or greased muffin tray for 20 minutes. Enjoy!