Before adopting this awesome plant-based diet, one of my favourite dishes was peanut-butter chicken. It was all about the sauce! So we had to create our own version. Done and done!
This Peanut Butter Greens sauce is absolutely mouth-watering, finger-licking good. It is a perfect blend of sweet and spicy with that rich peanut taste and loaded with healthy veggies. This recipe is easy to customize to your taste: switch up the veggies, grains or toppings. Simple and oh so satisfying.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1/2 c natural peanut-butter
1/4 c maple syrup
1/4 c tamari or soy sauce
1 c tomato diced
1 1/2 tsp yellow curry
3/4 vegetable broth
1 Tbsp oil
3 scallions chopped
1 large garlic clove minced
1 tsp fresh ginger minced
1 large zucchini sliced and cut in half lengthwise
2 c broccoli florets
1 red pepper julienned
1 c spinach
- Prepare your vegetables: Mince garlic and ginger, chop scallions, zucchini, broccoli, red pepper and spinach
- Mix all the peanut-butter sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir continuously over medium heat until it reaches a boil.
- Let the sauce boil for a minute or two (keep stirring) then remove from heat and set aside. Option to use a hand-held blender to blend tomatoes (which is what I do).
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil in the wok over medium-low heat. Add scallions, ginger, and garlic and sauté for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add zucchini and red pepper the broccoli. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- When the zucchini begin to soften add the peanut-butter sauce and stir. Increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Allow sauce to boil for a couple of minutes then remove from heat and allow it to sit for a 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice or rice noodles. Garnish with scallion greens and cilantro.