Looking for a vegan brunch idea? We’ve got it! Our Tofu Breakfast Bake is packed with protein from the tofu/hummus combination and filled with a colourful array of veggies all topped with crispy grated potatoes. A real crowd pleaser! This can be made in advance to save you the time and mess the morning your guests will be arriving. It is a warm, savoury dish you can serve along side something a little sweeter like our Vegan Blender Biscuits, Vegan Zucchini Carrot Muffins, or our divine Chocolate Orange Vegan Griddle Cakes.
Not hosting anytime soon? This breakfast bake is also a great weekday option that you can prepare the night before for quick reheating. Enjoy it with a side of whole grain toast and sliced tomatoes or a little ketchup for the kids!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
4 small russet potatoes
3 Tbsp vegan butter
1/2 onion, diced
5 button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
1 c hummus
2 cloves garlic, minced
- Prepare the potatoes: In a medium-sized saucepan bring water to a boil and add potatoes. Cook until potatoes are almost completely done, tender but still slightly firm. Drain and peel off skins. Grate potatoes and toss with sea salt. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables: Dice the onion and red pepper, mince the garlic, and slice the mushrooms and zucchini. Coat a skillet with olive oil before adding onions. Cook onions until translucent and tender to touch. Then add mushrooms, red pepper and zucchini. Cook until all the vegetables have softened.
- Prepare the tofu mixture: Slice half a block of firm tofu and press between a clean dish towel to remove excess moisture. Place a heavy pan on top and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Please the tofu and hummus into a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Add garlic, lemon and sea salt to taste and blend again.
- Assemble: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir vegetables into tofu mixture and pour into greased 8 x 8 baking dish. Cover with grated potatoes. Blot vegan butter over potatoes.
- Bake: Bake for 50 minutes. Option to broil at the very end to get the potatoes extra crispy.
- Serve with fresh tomatoes and whole grain toast. Enjoy!