Eggs – baked, boiled, fried – are the most popular breakfast choice. Except if you are vegan. But who says you can’t have your cake and eat it too? For those of you who are eating plant-based or are moving in that direction or are simply looking for a healthy alternative to eggs, this recipe is for you.
Chickpea flour is an excellent high-fiber, gluten-free protein source that proves to be very versatile in plant-based recipes. Our Easy Chickpea Omelette uses a combination of chickpea flour and veggies to create a flavourful breakfast. This is a simple way to ensure you and yours have a healthy start to the day.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
3 scallions , finely chopped
5 mushrooms, chopped
1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
1/2 c spinach, chopped
3/4 c chickpea flour
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp hummus
1 scant c water
- Prepare the vegetables: Chop the scallions, mushrooms, red pepper and spinach.
- Sauté the vegetables on medium-low heat until tender adding the spinach only at the very end.
- Mix the chickpea flour, turmeric, cayenne pepper, sea salt and garlic powder in a medium sized bowl.
- Stir in water and hummus. Whisk until mixture is well blended.
- Add the vegetables to the chickpea flour mixture.
- Coat a skillet with olive oil. Over medium-low heat, pour in chickpea flour/vegetable mixture in skillet creating two 3-4 inch circles in diameter (think small pancakes).
- Cook until browned and flip.
- Serve hot with fresh cilantro and salsa or sliced tomatoes.