Good morning all! Did you know that Matcha isn’t just for lattes? This finely ground powder of special Japanese green tea leaves is a great addition to baked goods and other tasty delights… such as our Morning Matcha Waffles.
For this quick and easy recipe we blend creamy dairy-free yoghurt, apple sauce, and matcha powder into a simple waffle batter that cooks up light and crispy on the outside and fluffy and moist on the inside.
So the next time you’re thinking of whipping up a batch of waffles, and would like something a little different than the usual, give this recipe and try… and do let us know what you think!
Have a great weekend!
Makes: 4 large waffles
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 6-7 mins per waffle
- 3/4 c unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 c non-dairy yoghurt (we used vanilla almond yoghurt)
- 1/2 c non dairy milk (such as our Easy Vegan Cashew “Mylk”)
- 1/4 c sugar (for this recipe we used white sugar, but you can easily use coconut palm sugar)
- 1 1/3 c whole grain all-purpose flour (or other flour of choice)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp matcha powder
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- In your high powered blender or mixer, place the apple sauce, non-dairy yoghurt, non-dairy milk, sugar, matcha, chia seeds, baking powder, and blend until perfectly smooth
- Add in the flour 1/3 c at a time, blending well.
- Allow the batter to sit for 5 minutes as you pre-heat your waffle iron to medium-high
- Pour the batter onto your lightly greased waffle iron, and allow to cook for 6-7 mins per waffle.
Enjoy with maple syrup and fresh apples as shown!
These also keep well in the freezer and can be toasted up quickly at any time!