What does the orange say to the chocolate? Orange you glad to see me?
Jokes aside, a tall stack of our Chocolate Orange Vegan Griddle Cakes would be a happy delight for anyone to wake up to. Yes, dessert for breakfast is what we’re serving up today! There’s not much that can beat the combination of decadent chocolate and fresh oranges served up warm in the morning.
Our Chocolate Orange Vegan Griddle Cakes are hearty, moist and satisfying on so many levels! When you’re craving dessert for breakfast, this is the recipe for you. Serve along side your favorite fruit and top with maple syrup… or dare we suggest chocolate sauce! (Ok that would just be overkill!)
Have a great day!
Serves: 4 – 6 cakes
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins per side
- 2 c old fashioned oats
- 1 cup flour of choice (we used whole grain all-purpose flour)
- 1/3 c coconut palm sugar
- 3 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Juice of 2 large oranges (about 1 3/4 c)
- 1/3 c water
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/3 c vegan chocolate chips or chunks (such as Enjoy Life brand)
- pinch of sea salt
- In a high powered blender, place the oats, coconut palm sugar, baking powder, coconut oil, orange juice , flax seed, water, and sea salt, and blend until perfectly smooth.
- Add in the flour and continue to blend until fully incorporated.
- Once the batter is done, stir in with a spoon the orange zest and chocolate chips.
- On a flat lightly greased griddle-pan portion out the cakes, and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes (or until bubbles start to form on the top) flip your cake, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
These griddle cakes keep well in the freezer and can be reheated in the toaster for a quick mid-week breakfast! Also great on the go, no syrup needed!