What kind of day is it this morning? Did your toddler refuse to get dressed, your wardrobe malfunction entirely, your hair not cooperate – colour, style, everything? Or did you wake up with a bounce in your step, find a killer outfit, style your hair effortlessly, and somehow arrive 10 minutes early to work? Whatever kind of day you are having these little beauties will surely make you smile.
Warm, chewy, light and sweet cinnamon buns… yes please! But wait friends, the best part is these are not loaded with sugar and butter, and they don’t take an hour and a half to prep. No, no. Our Healthy Vegan Cinnamon Buns are heavenly. They require 30 minutes tops to prepare and only have a couple of tablespoons of coconut palm sugar and vegan butter! We use mashed banana in our filling to give you that same sweetness and texture while still keeping it light and healthy. So bookmark this one. It’s a keeper!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1/2 c unsweetened almond milk (slightly warmer than lukewarm)
1/2 c water (slightly warmer than lukewarm)
1 package of quick-rise yeast 3 Tbsp coconut palm sugar
1 Tbsp melted vegan butter
2-2 1/2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
Dash sea salt
2 Tbsp coconut palm sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp melted butter
1 mashed banana
- Proof the yeast: Warm milk and water until they are slightly warmer than lukewarm. Stir in yeast and 1 tablespoon of coconut palm sugar. Wait about 5-10 minutes (you will notice a bit of foam form on the surface of your mixture). Once this happens, add 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter and the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut palm sugar. Stir.
- Make the dough: Add flour, baking powder and salt to the mixture. Stir until a ball of dough forms. I usually begin with 2 cups of flour and then add as needed. Knead the dough lightly- about 5 times. Cover dough with a damp cloth and let sit while you prepare the filling.
- Prepare the filling: Mash the banana, and mix with the vegan butter, cinnamon and coconut palm sugar.
- Make the buns: On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough into a long rectangular shape. Spread the filling over the dough. Picking up the edges of the long side of the rectangle, roll the dough to form a long cylinder shape. Using a sharp serrated knife or dental floss, cut the long cylinder into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Place in a greased baking dish.
- Bake: Bake in a preheated oven – 350 degrees – for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Serve as is or with a dollop of icing.