Today’s dish features one of our favourite fruits, Jackfruit! Our Jackfruit Root Veggie Ragout is a wonderful vegan rendition of a classic stew that typically would include a tender slow cooked meat, but instead we use the flesh of young jackfruit along with seasonal root vegetables to provide a similar texture and taste.
Jackfruit is the largest tree fruit in the world, reaching up to 80 lbs for a single fruit! It’s a very versatile fruit, as the mature fruit is sweet and can be enjoyed fresh (although it is a bit of work to cut and prep – but well worth it!) The young jackfruit is a perfect meat substitute in savoury dishes, such as stews, BBQ “pulled pork” style sandwiches, etc.
Fresh jackfruit can be sourced at your local Asian grocery store, and even sometimes at larger grocers as it’s gaining in popularity. For this dish we have used canned organic young jackfruit, which can easily be found at your local health food store or Asian grocery store.
Give this recipe a try and let us know what you think!
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
- 3 398ml cans of young jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 large yams, or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 – 6 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 thumb of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 1/4 c avocado oil, or olive oil for cooking
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Herbamare sea salt (or more to taste)
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a large dutch oven or stewing pot, heat the oil over medium-low and sautée the garlic, ginger, onions, red pepper flakes until tender, stir in the corn starch.
- Turn up the heat on the the burner, and add in the jackfruit, continue to cook for another 5-10 mins.
- Add in the chopped carrots, yams, and parsnips, continue to cook for another 5-10 mins.
- Add in the red wine and toss the ragout mixture in it, be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the pot.
- Add in the vegetable broth and tomato purée, stir well
- Season with the sea salt and pepper
- Place the covered pot in the preheated oven and cook for 60 mins, stirring occasionally
Serve topped with a dollop of your favourite vegan sour cream or vegan cheese!
Pictured here topped with a spoonful of Zengarry’s Garlic & Fine Herb cashew cheese, delicious!