We are kicking-off our week of HEARTY STEWS with an easy recipe that will satisfy your hunger. Our Simple Lentil Stew is delicious as is or can be garnished with your favourite herbs and spices. Our kids – and husbands – devoured this dish and we were satisfied knowing they had fuelled their bodies with a healthy, plant-based meal packed with all the nutrients needed. This can be made ahead of time for a quick weeknight dinner.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
7 c vegetable broth
1 3/4 c brown lentils rinsed*
1 onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 celery stalks, sliced
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 c tomato sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
*Do not use red lentils as they cook very fast and will become mushy.
- Prepare the vegetables: Chop onion, mince garlic, slice carrots and celery and cube potatoes.
- Over medium-low heat drizzle a generous tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot or Dutch-oven. Cook onions until translucent. Then add garlic.
- Add carrots, celery and potatoes. Then add lentils and vegetable broth. Stir until well combined.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Cook until lentils are soft and tender about 20 minutes making sure to check on levels of liquid. Add more broth/water as needed.
- Once lentils are cooked, add tomato sauce and tamari. Season with sea salt to taste. Stir until well combined. Serve with a tablespoon of Kale Hemp Pesto if desired. Enjoy!