Day four of our EASY BAKES brings you a family-friendly meal. Our Best Vegan Shepherd’s Pie can be made ahead of time and reheated for quick, easy serving. This is a vegan twist on a classic dish that has always been a staple in our homes. Lentils give you a natural boost of fiber and protein. It is a great way to give your family a healthy plant-based meal without them even noticing.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
1 onion, diced
1 c mushrooms, chopped
1 c carrot, grated
1 1/2 cups cooked lentils
1 can corn niblets (optional)
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 c vegetable broth
2 Tbsp soy sauce
4 cups cubed russet potato
3 Tbsp vegan butter
1/4 c unsweetened coconut/almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the vegetables – dice the onion, chop the mushrooms, grate carrot, and peel and cube potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, mix vegetable broth and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of water until tender – about 15-20 minutes.
- Over medium-low heat, coat a skillet with one tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions and cook until softened and translucent.
- Add mushrooms and stir a couple of times before adding grated carrot. Once mushrooms have softened, add lentils.
- Increase the heat to medium and sprinkle the flour over the mixture. Stir until it has blended in to the vegetables. Then add broth/soy sauce mixture. Bring to a light boil to thicken the mixture. Once it has reached the desired texture, remove from heat.
- Make mash potatoes: Mash potatoes, add two tablespoons of vegan butter and about 1/4 unsweetened non-dairy milk. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Put the veggie/lentil mixture into the bottom of a 9×9 or 11×7 baking dish. Add a layer of corn niblets if using. Then top with a layer of mashed potatoes. Heat in the oven for 10-15 minutes and serve.