Happy Valentine’s Day to all you beautiful people. May your spirits be full of love and joy today. To celebrate this day that honours love, we’ve deviated from our EASY BAKES to provide you a simple plant-based, whole food dessert that your bodies will LOVE! After all, who doesn’t want a little chocolate today?! Our Fudgy Black-Bean Brownies will satisfy your craving for something sweet while providing you with a healthy dose of protein and fiber. This guilt-free dessert takes little time to prepare and is a great gluten-free treat everyone can enjoy!
Serves: 16 brownies
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
Chill time: 30 minutes +
1 small banana
1/2 c Medjool dates, pits removed
1 c black beans, rinsed
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 large flax egg
1/4 c almond/coconut milk
1/4 c melted coconut oil
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 c oat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 c vegan chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 c walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make flax egg by mixing 2 tablespoons of ground flax with 5 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a high-speed blender, mix banana, dates, black beans, vanilla, maple syrup, flax eggs, coconut milk and coconut oil. Blend really well until smooth.
- Add cocoa, oat flour, baking powder and sea salt. Blend until the dry ingredients are mixed into the wet mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts if you are using them.
- Line an 8 X 8 dish with parchment paper and pour in mixture. Option to garnish with some crushed walnuts. Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. If they appear undercooked – which the middle parts usually do – just pop them in the fridge overnight and they will firm right up. Enjoy!