Our Main Squeeze in the month of February will focus on main courses beginning with a week of original rice dishes. Today we present you with a simple, crowd-pleasing risotto. Lemon and fresh basil lighten up the creamy Arborio rice while the mushrooms add texture leaving you satisfied. This risotto presents beautifully so serve it to guests as a side or main dish next time you are hosting.
Serves: 4 main
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
5 c vegetable broth
2/3 c white wine
2 garlic cloves minced
1 c onion diced (about 1 large yellow onion)
2 c portobello mushrooms thinly sliced and chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 c white mushrooms thinly sliced and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 1/2 c fresh baby spinach finely chopped
1 1/2 c Arborio rice
Sea salt to taste
1/4 c nutritional yeast
1/4 c fresh basil finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 lemon squeezed
- Prepare your vegetables: Mince garlic, chop onions, mushrooms, spinach and basil, zest the lemon.
- Heat broth in a pot and leave over low heat.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook mushrooms until they have softened. Add spinach at the very end of your cooking time and set aside.
- In a separate large pot or Dutch-oven, add a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté onions over medium-low heat.
- Once onions have softened and look translucent, add the minced garlic.
- Add the Arborio rice and stir continuously coating it with oil. Once the rice begins to look translucent (you may hear some popping sounds and that’s normal), add the wine. You can increase the heat to medium at this point.
- Once wine has been completely absorbed by the rice, add a ladle (about 1/2-3/4 cup) of broth. Stir continuously until the broth has been absorbed.
- Continue adding one ladle at a time to the risotto making sure the broth is absorbed before adding the next ladle. This process should take about 20 minutes until the rice is tender but still slightly firm.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove from heat and stir in sea salt, nutritional yeast, mushrooms/spinach mixture with liquid, lemon and basil.