Making fresh homemade hummus is one of the easiest and healthiest snacks you can make for yourself and your loved ones. We love the classic chickpea version, but also like to change things up a bit. Our recipe for Spicy Lentil Hummus with oven baked pita chips is exactly that – a twist on a classic. Made with hearty lentils and a little kick of red chili paste, this hummus can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, such as in a sandwich, with veggies, or our favourite – lapped up with homemade pita chips! Give this recipe a try and ditch the store bought stuff.
Prep time: 10 mins
Bake time (for chips): 10 mins
1 c cooked lentils
1/3 c tahini
1 large lemon, juiced
1 large garlic clove
1 tsp herbamare sea salt blend
1 tsp red chili paste (Sambal)
6 medium whole wheat pitas, cut into triangles
1 Tbsp avocado oil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
- Place all ingredients in your high powered blender, and blend on medium-high until desired consistency.
- Blend less for more bite, or blend more for a super smooth texture.
- For a thinner hummus, add a bit of water as you blend, 1 Tbsp at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a large bowl, toss the cut pitas with the avocado oil, be sure to coat all the pieces well.
- Place the pitas on a baking sheet, and sprinkle with the cayenne pepper and sea salt
- Bake the pitas for 10 minutes, be sure to toss them at the 5 minute mark.
- Watch carefully, as to not over cook the pitas
Enjoy along with your favourite fresh cut veggies!