Our Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Muffins are heavenly AND healthy! You’ll never guess the secret ingredient in these little darlings… wait for it… BLACK BEANS. Yeah! Chewy, moist, chocolatey, and chock-full of fiber and protein, these mighty muffins are excellent as a post workout snack or mid-day pick me up… Give them a try and let us know what you think.
Makes: 12 mini cakes
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
1 398ml can of black beans (with )
1 c natural peanut butter
1/4 c maple syrup
1/3 c cocoa powder
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/3 c vegan protein powder (we love Iron Vegan sprouted protein)
1 tsp sea salt + extra to sprinkle on top
- In your high powered blender (such as the Blendtec), blend the full can of beans including the liquid, maple syrup, and peanut butter until a silky paste is formed.
- Add in the cocoa powder, and blend on low, until the powder is fully incorporated into the batter. If using the Blendtec, the “batter” option works well for this step.
- Add in the protein powder and salt, and continue to blend on low until fully incorporated into the batter. At this point the batter will be quite thick and you may need to help the blending process along a little with a spatula – just be careful not to catch the blade.
- Preheat your oven to 325
- Spray a medium sized muffin tin with coconut oil or use silicone muffin liners, and portion our the batter. There should be enough batter for 12 mini cakes.
- Spinkle the tops of the mini cakes with a pinch of sea salt
- Bake the mini cakes for 14-15 mins. Do not over bake, as they will become dry.
- Allow to cool fully before remove from the muffin tin/liners.
These little muffins are heaven fresh out of the oven, but also keep very well in the fridge for up to a week.
And you know what, the uncooked batter makes for an awesome and rich chocolate pudding too!