Who doesn’t love Caesar salad? Creamy dressing, crunchy lettuce, cheesy parmesan… Although a classic Caesar is tasty, it offers very little in terms of nutritional value which is why we created a healthier, plant-based, protein packed version that will leave you feeling satisfied for longer. Kale and romaine lettuce are topped with Chickpea Croutons (inspired by none other than Oh She Glows) and Quinoa Parmesan. All these ingredients are then tossed in a creamy, garlic dressing that is quick and simple to make. A perfect accompaniment to any meal or substantial enough to serve on its own.
Serves: 4-5 as sides; 2 as main
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and dried
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
1/4 c cooked quinoa
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp hulled hemp seeds
1/4 tsp garlic salt
Squeeze of lemon
*This will make more dressing than you will need but I always like to have extras.
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp Dijon
1 tsp Worcestershire
1 Tbsp capers, chopped
1 1/2 tsp caper brine
3 Tbsp hummus (alternatively you could use tahini but reduce the amount)
Sea salt to taste
1/2 c olive oil
1 head of romaine lettuce (about 5 cups), washed and chopped
2 c kale, washed and chopped
1/2 c cucumber, halved and sliced
1 radish, halved and very thinly sliced
- Prepare the Chickpea Croutons. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Rinse the chickpeas and pat to dry. Toss in sea salt and olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes moving the chickpeas around several times to prevent burning. Remove from oven and squeeze lemon over chickpeas. Set aside.
- Prepare the Quinoa Parmesan by mixing together the quinoa, nutritional yeast, hulled hemp seeds, garlic salt and lemon. Set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the garlic, Dijon, Worcestershire, lemon, capers, brine, hummus and sea salt together. Slowly pour in olive oil while whisking. Set aside.
- Prepare the salad by washing and chopping lettuce, kale, cucumber and radish. Place in a bowl. Top with 1/2 cup of chickpea croutons and the quinoa parmesan.
- Drizzle about 1/2 cup of dressing over the salad and toss together.