When you begin with beautiful ingredients, the final result is guaranteed to stand out. For week 3 of Happy Healthy and Green we bring you a light and fresh fennel salad . This simple salad has just the right pop of colour with oranges, pomegranate arils, and a vivid green basil coulis that adds a bright and delicious flavour. Enjoy this salad for lunch or as a side dish with dinner, and spring will seem a little bit closer.
Prep time: 10 mins
1 large fennel bulb
1 large navel orange
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
Maldon sea salt flakes, to taste
fresh cracked pepper, (optional to taste)
1 cup fresh basil
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp sea salt
Prep the salad:
- Clean and trim the fennel bulb. Save some of the leafy fennel fronds as a garnish
- Using a mandolin, slice the fennel bulb in thin 1/8 inch slices. Lay the slices out on a serving plate.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice off the top and bottom of the orange. Using downward strokes, slice the skin away from the flesh of the orange and discard.
- Slice the orange in half lengthwise, and then slice the orange halves in 1/4 inch slices. Place over the bed of fennel
- Sprinkle the pomegranate arils over the fennel and orange slices.
Blend the coulis:
- Place all the coulis ingredients in a small food processor or blender, and blend until smooth.
Dress the salad:
- Drizzle the basil coulis over the fennel and oranges.
- Garnish the dish with trimmings of the fennel fronds
- Season with sea salt flakes, and pepper to taste
Remaining coulis keeps well in an airtight jar in the fridge for a few days. Try it as a light sauce for pasta!