These little beauties are inspired by our ever so popular Vegan Gingerbread Cookies, but we took this recipe to the next level by adding the sweet tartiness of cranberries, and baking the dough in balls rather than rolling it out. The result is a spicy, sweet cookie ball, with a warm chewy center that is sure to be a hit with just about everyone this holiday season. Our mouthes are watering just thinking about these balls. Give them a try!
Serves: 24 balls
Prep time: 15 minutes
Chill time: 2 hours
Cook time: 8 minutes
1/4 c coconut oil
1/2 c coconut palm sugar
1/2 c dried cranberries
1 large flax egg (1 1/2 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 5 Tbsp water)
1/3 c fancy molasses
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 c flour (can also use a gluten-free blend)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
pinch of sea salt
- Using your high powered blender, such as the Blendtech, place within the mixing jar the ground flax and water and set aside for about 10 minutes. This will create the “flax egg.”
- In a large mixing bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves). Set aside.
- Add to the flax egg the palm sugar, coconut oil, vanilla and molasses. Blend well using the “soup” option on your blender, this will melt the coconut oil as it blends and emulsify the wet ingredients. If using a regular blender, ensure the coconut oil is melted before mixing it into the wet mixture.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Mix until completely combined, and the dough is formed.
- Add the cranberries to the dough, and using a spatula fold them in evenly.
- Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap the dough and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Use a tablespoon to portion out each individual piece of dough, and lightly roll the dough between your palms to form a ball.
- Place the dough balls on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow the cookies to sit for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.