Hemp hearts – raw shelled hemp seeds – are an excellent source of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids. They are also a blend of protein, fiber, and vitamins and minerals which makes these lentil burgers even more nutritious and satisfying. My husband, a beef burger enthusiast, loved these gluten-free vegan burgers. Prepare the patties the night before for a quick, simple weeknight meal. Serve with crispy potatoes and all your favourite toppings.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Chill time: 20-30 minutes
1 onion diced
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 c gluten-free dried rice (I use Lundberg Short Grain Organic Brown Rice. This is important because it takes the same amount of time to make as the lentils – 45 mins).
3/4 c dried green lentils
3 cups of vegetable broth
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp chili powder
1 c cilantro chopped
1/3 c hemp hearts
1/4 c gluten-free bread crumbs
- Prepare vegetables: Dice onion, mince garlic, peel and chop carrots, rinse and pick through lentils.
- Place a medium-sized pot over medium-low heat. Pour in about one tablespoon of olive oil, add onions and stir.
- After a couple of minutes, once the onions have softened and become translucent, add garlic and stir.
- Give the garlic 30 seconds to cook before adding the lentils, rice and vegetable broth. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- After twenty minutes, add the carrots and continue to cook for about another 20 minutes. Check to make sure you have enough liquid – you may need to add additional broth.
- Make sure carrots have softened and rice and lentils are cooked. Turn off the heat and let it sit to cool. Mix in sea salt, tumeric and chili powder.
- After about ten minutes, place mixture into high-powered blender. Pulse until a smoother texture is achieved.
- Add hemp hearts, cilantro and bread crumbs and pulse again.
- Cool in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare 6 patties. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Fry burgers about 2-3 minutes per side. Serve on gluten-free or whole wheat buns with desired toppings.
A personal favourite is topping this burger with Purple Cabbage Slaw. Recipe on its way soon!