This stir-fry is full of flavour, colour and texture that will make your tastebuds sing. Garlic and ginger – a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant – amplify the flavours of this dish while the cashews add a rich, mildly sweet, nutty crunch. Enjoy this gluten-free meal over a bed of brown rice, rice noodles or quinoa.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
4 scallions – chopped
1 c mushrooms – chopped
1 c grated carrot
3 1/2 c cauliflower florets
2 c fresh spinach – chopped
1/2 c cashews
1 1/2 c vegetable broth
2 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 1/2 tsp garlic chile sauce (or more!)
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut palm sugar
- Prepare vegetables – mince garlic, chop mushrooms, scallions, spinach and cauliflower, grate ginger and carrot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vegetable broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, chile sauce and palm sugar. Set aside.
- Heat wok over medium heat. Add sesame oil and sauté scallions reserving some of the green for topping the dish.
- Add ginger and garlic and sauté another minute. Add mushrooms.
- When mushrooms begin to soften, add carrots and cauliflower and stir.
- Once again, whisk the vegetable broth mixture to ensure the cornstarch is well integrated. Pour into the wok and increase the heat to medium-high.
- Allow to come to a boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes (until cauliflower has softened).
- Towards the end of this cooking time, check to see if you need to add more vegetable broth. This will depend on how saucy you’d like it.
- Once cauliflower has softened, add spinach and cashews. Turn off the heat but leave the wok on the element to ensure spinach cooks.
- Serve over rice noodles, brown rice or quinoa with a sprinkle of green onion and some fresh coriander.