‘Tis the season to cook with ginger! These muffins are sweet with a bit of spice and will fill your house with the sweet aroma of gingerbread. A perfect snack, dessert or breakfast, these gingerbread banana muffins are versatile and scrumptious! One-bowl, gluten-free (if desired) and vegan, what’s not to love!
Serves: 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1/3 c melted coconut oil
1/2 c coconut palm sugar
1/4 c molasses (fancy not blackstrap)
1 banana mashed
1 large flax egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c coconut/almond milk
1 c all-purpose flour (or gluten-free blend)
3/4 c spelt flour (or all-purpose or gluten-free oat flour which you can make by pulsing gf rolled oats in a high-speed blender)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix 1 1/2 tablespoons of ground flax with 5 tablespoons of water. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In a large glass bowl, melt coconut oil. Add coconut palm sugar and molasses and stir. Then add mashed banana, flax egg, vanilla and coconut/almond milk. Stir.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and sea salt together. This can be done in a separate mixing bowl, but I like to minimize dishes. To use one bowl, simply add the dry ingredients on top of the wet ingredients and mix them together.
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Scoop out batter into lined muffin tin. Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!