This GF Vegan Naan will knock your socks off! It is lightly sweetened with coconut palm sugar making it the perfect accompaniment to any savoury dish. It has a unique blend of gluten-free flours that help yield the perfect result in texture and taste.
Serves: 8 naan
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 tsp yeast (I used quick active)
3/4 c lukewarm water
2 tsp coconut palm sugar
1 1/2 c gluten-free flour blend
1/4 c cornstarch
1/4 c gluten-free oat flour (I use my Blentec to grind oats)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 flax egg
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp vinegar
- Mix 1 Tbsp ground flax with 3 Tbsp water. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the water. Let it sit for ten minutes, until it froths slightly.
- Mix gluten-free flour, cornstarch, oat flour, baking soda and sea salt together.
- Stir dry mixture into water/yeast mixture. Stir until mostly integrated.
- Add oil and vinegar to flax egg. Add to dough and stir. Work dough together with your hands sprinkling flour as needed.
- Divide the dough into two balls. Working with one ball at a time, split it into 4 equal pieces and place on lightly floured parchment paper. Roll each piece until about 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Heat a pan to medium heat. You want your pan fairly hot.
- Drizzle olive oil (1/2-1 tsp) in pan and place two pieces of dough in it. Cover with a top (I use a baking tray). Cook for only about 30-45 seconds. Repeat on the other side. Remove naan from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Cook the remaining two pieces of dough in the same way.
- Repeat steps 6-9 for the second half of the dough. Serve hot with a curry dish or soup.